Monument record IKL 037 - Ramparts Field, Icklingham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 788 715 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
August 1970: "A trench dug to restrict car parking on the heath cut three small pits, two of which contained a few small sherds of undecorated pottery, and the third some with impressed twisted-cord decoration. The latter was accompanied by some flint flakes, a serrated blade and a scraper. 1970, reported by G I Moss" (S1,S5).
Pottery described as `undecorated Peterborough' and `Ebbsfleet with impressed twisted cord decoration' in (S2) and `Fengate' ware in (S4). Findspot cited as TL 788 714 (S1,S2,S4). However this is too far S for Ramparts Field - adjusted N accordingly.
1976: Broken flint blade found on surface of Ramparts Field at TL 790 715 (S3).
Also found was a silver denarius of Faustina Senior
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, 1970.
- <S2> SSF3344 Bibliographic reference: CBA. 1970. Bulletin Group 7, 17, 1970, 19.
- <S3> SSF19486 Index: SAU, Mowat R. 1976. Accessions Register, 5 May 1976. SAU, Mowat R, Accessions Register, 5 May 1976.
- <S4> SSF11555 Finds Report: Moss G I,. 1970. Moss G I, record sheet, 1970. Moss G I, record sheet, 1970.
- <S5> SSF56380 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1970. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1970.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2021 3:46PM