Monument record IKL 093 - Horselands Field
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 782 721 (396m by 460m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
NW field of large scheduled area - see IKL 020 for SE field. IKL 018 (villa), 033 (1974 excavation, lead cistern & cemetery), 034 (lead cistern) and 064 (road) also within Horselands field. Formerly listed as part of IKL 020.
1951: Report on IKL 034 mentions "many coins, particularly fourth century, have been picked up in this field" (S1)(R1).
Oct 1951: Briscoe records "building material ploughed to surface & many coins. Decorated Samian sherds close to villa" and defines large area E of villa (S1)(S2)(R2).
November 1971: "Field evidence would suggest that the main villa buildings were to the NW of the (villa) site marked by the OS" (S3).
September 1973: Field walked by Howard G Pell. Finds include pottery scatters including some dense patches and large quantities of tegula & imbrex with marked concentrations - see (S4) for details.
- <R1> SSF10399 (No record type): Kraay, C.M.. Kraay C M, Antiq Journ, 22, 219-220.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE10.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S2> SSF11315 (No record type): MIHLM, correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, October 1951.
- <R2> SSF16612 (No record type): Proc Cambs Antiq Soc, 55, 1962, 66.
- <M2> SSF37176 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF5246 (No record type): DOE, Scheduling information, 1971.
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, TL 782 721 RB, 1973.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: English Heritage (AML), large scale geophysical survey, 1993-7 (Ref: ) (ESF19209)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13909)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13731)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (PLD) (Ref: DOE (PLD)) (ESF13411)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (GJM) (Ref: OS (GJM)) (ESF12217)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 9:59AM