Monument record IKL 094 - Kiln Field
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7867 7188 (136m by 198m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Part of large scheduled Rom site IKL 020 & 093. Area centred (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s): "Many pieces of ironwork, keys, locks, iron combs. Top of stone quern. All at farm (Major Lucas). GB [Grace Briscoe]" (S1)(S2). These include "(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) Romano-British iron comb, 9 ins long, with two-pronged handle (Lady Briscoe)(Mildenhall Museum)" (S2)(S3)(S4). See IKL 020 for further iron wool comb from same field. The Lucas bequest is now in MIHLM.
1982: Possible major temple bronze hoard ('Icklingham hoard' or 'Icklingham treasure') from circa (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) includes figurines: bronze leopard with inlaid (silver?) spots; bronze ?Vulcan and bearded bust (possibly from statue?); a bronze young male statue (?) head with silvered eyes & perforated neck, a bronze bearded head with empty eye sockets also possibly from statue; 4 bronze `masks' - faces with empty eye sockets, 2 bearded, one female and one thicker & heavier (?) unbearded male with perforated neck (possibly from statue?); ornate bronze tripod stand; 2 fragments of bronze `collar'; 2 `Thracian helmet' style objects, one with top perforation; 2 iron bells, one bronze covered; 2 iron `mudguards', "two, or three feet long" (S5). Photographs in parish file. Further details in confidential file.
- <S1> SSF11315 (No record type): MIHLM, correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, October 1951.
- <M1> SSF37177 (No record type): Photographs: ASS (negatives of prints obtained from BM).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE13.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Press cutting & (S5).
- <M3> SSF37179 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1958, PSIA, 28, 1958, (1), 92.
- <S4> SSF1538 (No record type): Briscoe Lady G, note on loose sketch map in 1958 diary, May.
- <M4> SSF37180 (No record type): G Briscoe archive: sketch map & note.
- <S5> SSF20296 (No record type): SAU, photographs ASS (negatives of prints obtained from BM).
- <S6> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- FSF6020: FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6021: STATUE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6022: HOARD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6023: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6024: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6025: BELL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6026: COMB (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6027: KEY (LOCKING) (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6028: LOCK (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6029: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6030: MASK (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 9:59AM