Monument record GRU 013 - Church of St Mary

Please read our .


Parish church of St Mary.


Grid reference Centred TM 2235 5107 (98m by 97m) Centred on
Map sheet TM25SW


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Parish church of St Mary. Structure: nave, chancel and tower, rebuilt in brick in C18 over S porch (1731/2). Fine false double hammer-beam nave roof. Oldest fabric ?C13, S aisle C14. Lady chapel to S of chancel added or rebuilt in 1527 (S1)(S2).
2012: Monitoring of groundworks revealed no archaeological features or finds (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 290.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
  • <S2> (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, GRU 013, May 1989.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Everett, L. 2012. Archaeological Monitoring Report, St Mary's Church, Grundisburgh.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 1 2022 4:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.