Find Spot record NAC 003 - Cliff at Bridgewood, Nacton, (Terminal Upper Palaolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 184 404 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1953: Two platform blade cores (S1).
Location given as TM 186 404 and from "cliff", around TM 184 404. Shore of Orwell "Cliff Bridgewood 5.4.53"
Orignially recorded as mesolithic (S4). Identified by Jacobi as Terminal Upper Palaeolithic (S3)
"Two platform cores" as noted on original record, clearly means single item with two (opposed?) platforms, (S2).
Class 2a blade core. Length: 150mm. Capable of producing Grossklinge, (S3)
See also (S4).
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. ? under Ipswich.
- <S2> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S3> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 259.
- <S4> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. page 262.
- <S5> SSF59354 Unpublished document: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 216.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2019 11:14AM