Monument record STU 025 - A possible Iron Age or Roman enclosure is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs to the south of Alton Hall Farm, Holbrook
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 158 360 (181m by 179m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||STUTTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Large subrectangular ?enclosure at least 150m x 150m, with entrance NNW side. SW portion not visible on APs. Traversed by trackway & field boundaries STU 005 and by second small rectilinear ?enclosure on SE side. This second ?enclosure has a NNW side, with entrance, circa 50m long. The S portion is not visible on APs (S1)(S2).
A possible Iron Age or Roman rectilinear ditched enclosure is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on TM 15813603 to the south of Alton Hall Farm in Holbrook (formerly Stutton?) parish. The enclosure is defined by a substantial ditch and measures 160m by 150m at its widest visible points. The southern and eastern corners of the enclosure are not visible. An entrance is visible as a clear gap in the enclosure ditch at TM 15813611 close to the northern corner of the enclosure. The enclosure is located on flat spur of land overlooking Alton Water to the south. (S3-S5) The shape of the enclosure suggests that it may be Iron Age or Roman in date though there is no other evidence to support this interpretation. The enclosure does not appear to be directly related to the other linear ditched features visible as cropmarks which cross into the enclosure (see STU 005). (S6)
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, APs, 1536/2/279, 1659/338.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: AGC 12; NMR 1536/1/279, 1659/338.
- <S2> SSF18635 (No record type): SAU, AP, AGC 12.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1635/8 (1659/347) 13-JUL-1979.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1635/14 (3117/45) 08-JUL-1986.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1536/56 (21361/18) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 09/03/04.
- <S7> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 4 2018 12:53PM