Monument record STU 005 - Cropmarks for linear ditches, enclosures and trackway, Stutton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 158 360 (415m by 327m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||STUTTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Trackways running roughly E-W with complexity of field boundaries and with a few enclosures traversing the area (S1)(S2)(S3). Appears to extend further S where masked. Ring ditch, STU 012 and enclosure/s STU 025 in area. E of Alton Hall.
Feb 1994, TM15713598. N-S orientated ditch, no datable finds (S8).
Linear ditches, possible rectilinear enclosures and a trackway of unknown date are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 15953599 to the south of Alton Hall Farm in Holbrook (formerly Stutton?) parish. The trackway, clearest at TM15993601, runs east-west following the valley edge where Alton Water is now located. At the western end of the trackway a possible rectilinear enclosure enclosing an area of 10m by at least 70m is visible. At the eastern end of the trackway another larger rectilinear enclosure is visible at TM 15933607 which may reflect a later phase of activity. These features do not appear to be related to enclosure STU 025 though they do cross into the enclosure (S4-S6). Some of the photographs referenced in (S1-S3) were not available as part of the project and the original grid reference recorded was TM 157359. (S7)
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ADJ 92; NMR 2/279, 1659/338; SAU AGC 12.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ADJ92) 1961.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM 13NE15.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP 2/279, 1659/338.
- <S3> SSF18447 (No record type): SAU, AP AGC 12.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1635/8 (1659/347) 13-JUL-1979.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1635/16 (1832/332) 31-JUL-1980.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1536/56 (21361/18) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S7> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 09/03/04.
- <S8> SSF50854 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 1994. Alton Washwater Return, Stutton. Record of Archaeological Monitoring.
- <S9> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 4 2018 12:53PM