Find Spot record IPS 360 - Old Cattle Market, Hippodrome Theatre; St Nicholas Street, Ipswich (IAS 5102).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1622 4429 (58m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1905: "Roman urn found in Old Cattle Mart during excavations for Hippodrome Theatre, 1905. AO record '51 DG". (S1). Given to Ipswich Borough Museum (IM 1905.14). Dubious classification.
1985:Theatre demolished. New building replacing it piled, natural at 1.8m - no finds.
See also (S2-S4)
- <S1> SSF2784 Source Unchecked: Ordnance Survey. 1951. BSEMH, Correspondents 6 inch record map, 75 SE, OS entry, July 1951. BSEMH, Correspondents 6 inch record map, 75 SE, OS entry, July 1951.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 5102.
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 5102.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF7956: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 19 2021 1:37PM