Monument record DUN 001 - Anglo-Saxon artefact scatter of pottery and bishops place. (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 480 702 (338m by 860m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
An East Anglian diocese was founded circa AD 630 by St Felix, a Burgundian who had been sent by Pope Honorius to covert the East Angles. With the help of King Sigeberht this was established at a place called `Dommoc', which is thought to be either Dunwich or Felixstowe. In the latter part of the C7, this diocese was split into two, with bishops at Dommoc and Elmham. Both bishoprics were swept away as a result of the Danish invasions circa AD 870 (S1)(S2)(R1)(R2).
After the Norman Conquest the churches of Dunwich were granted to Eye Priory. Pre-1822 the bronze seal of Bishop Aethelwald of Dommoc, circa AD 850, was found at Eye (now in the British Museum) - see Eye 009.
The -wich part of the name Dunwich suggests that it was a Saxon trading post like Ipswich, Norwich and Hamwich (Southampton).
1970: (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) Two simple upright rims of Ipswich ware type found in an excavation (S3).
1996: Large group of finds found detecting & sieving recent cliff falls over circa 400m stretch(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). Sax finds listed as two LSax `hooked tags' (plain circular and decorated triangular). Details in (S3).
1995-2007: Large group of finds found detecting and walking on Dunwich Beach (BACKLOG)
- <R1> SSF17632 (No record type): Rigold S E, `The supposed see of Dunwich', JBAA, 24, 1961, 55-59.
- <S1> SSF23139 (No record type): Whitelock D, `The pre-Viking age church in East Anglia' in P Clemoes (ed) Anglo-Saxon England I, 197.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <R2> SSF17630 (No record type): Rigold S E, `Further evidence about the site of Dummoc', JBAA, 37, 1974, 97-102.
- <S2> SSF22698 (No record type): Wade-Martins P & Rigold S, `North Elmham', vol 1, EAA 9, 1980, 3-11 (S3) West S E, The excavation of.
- <S3> SSF16408 (No record type): Piper J per SAU (JN, JP & EM), finds reports, finds ID sheets, ill.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 14 2015 4:39PM