Monument record HAM 001 - Moated site in Moatyard Covert (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 450 795 (110m by 160m)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD WITH HENHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat. Isolated on stream and parish boundary, sub-square, unoccupied. In Moatyard Covert, N of Henham Park, is an oval moat of great width close to the S bank of a stream. From its W side it branches out for 200 feet, then turns in a N direction until it joins the stream. On the SW of the oval moat is another length of wide entrenchment, also supported by the stream on the NE. It is possible that this was an early entrenched position afterwards adapted to manorial moats (S1).
A small manorial work comprising a central moated area with two perimeter flanking ditches. There are no surface indications of a former building within the moat although extensive nettle growth and a surface scatter of oyster shells, mussel shells and fragmentary pottery ranging from Rom to late Med are evidence of long occupation. The copse in which the earthwork was formerly situated has now been cleared of trees; such clearing has, in places, mutilated the slope profile. The central moat is polygonal and not oval. Published survey (25 inch) revised (JB F1 17/8/1970)(S2)). 1975: A wide roughly rectangular moat, now dry and up to 7 feet deep enclosing an area about 200 feet x 175 feet. There is an entrance on the SE side of the moat (S3).
1981: Firs now maturing and site is difficult to assess, as trees and undergrowth present a dense cover (S3).
Med pottery C14 (?) turned up by plough within the moated area. Ploughed for the first time in living memory, 1957. Sherds of hard grey wheel-made pottery retained by Master Simon Loftus, Bulcamp House, Halesworth (S4).
- <M1> SSF37195 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF5118 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Little Guide to Suffolk, 1957, 189.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 611.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM47NE4, 1970.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: letters between Earl of Stradbroke & Ablitt F C, 1977.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Henham Med, 1957.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13910)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13732)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13412)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF12221)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 1:10560 (Ref: OS 1:10560) (ESF14212)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 25" revised (Ref: OS 25" revised) (ESF14684)
Record last edited
May 23 2012 11:15AM