Find Spot record REY 004 - Flint axe, chipped with polished cutting edge.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4801 8016 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FROSTENDEN, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||REYDON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Flint axe, chipped with polished cutting edge from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S1-S3). Cited findspot within area of field system and enclosure cropmarks REY 060.
Neo polished axe found in (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) circa 1954 - seen at ICM 1954 (SE West). Property of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S5).
Recorded as from Frostenden parish in (S1) (S2)(S3) and (S5) whereas grid reference places it just over boundary in Reydon parish.
Presumably relates to a single axe but worth checking sketch of 1954 axe with 962-123 in Ipswich Museum as could be separate items.
Frostenden brickworks probably more likely?
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Frostenden 962-123, 1962.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48SE6,undated.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, PSIA, 29,. 1962, (2), 169.
- <S4> SSF18118 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), undated.
- <S5> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Frostenden Neo, undated, sketch.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2009 10:08AM