Monument record SPL 004 - Chadacre Hall; Chadacre Park; Chadacre Agricultural Institute
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 853 525 (758m by 628m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SHIMPLING, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
`Chadacre Hall' shown as great house/mansion at TL 8538 5258 approximately on Hodskinson's 1783 map. Seat of Plampin family (S1)(S2).
TL 8536 5272: `Chadacre Hall' (2nd), a modern mansion erected in 1834, by Thomas Halifax, situated in a park of 95 acres (S2-S4). 1840 Tithe map shows farm buildings to S at TL 8545 5252 centre.
`Chadacre or Chadacre Hall Manor was, at the time of the Domesday survey, held as tenant in chief by the Countess of Albemarle. Later it came to the de la Lee, de Harleston, Stanley, Darcy and other families. In 1764 the manor was vested in Robert Plampin and the subsequent devolution is the same as the main manor' (S2).
The Hall was opened as Chadacre Agricultural Institute in 1921 & closed in 1988. Sold 1989.
- <R1> SSF23222 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 319.
- <S3> SSF12852 (No record type): OS, 1st edition 1 inch map, sheet 54, circa 1836.
- <S4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1975 ed, 250.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 25 2013 11:09AM