Monument record OUS 003 - Ousden Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7352 5963 (775m by 969m)|
|Civil Parish||OUSDEN, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- GREAT HOUSE (16th century to 19th century - 1501 AD to 1800 AD)
- LANDSCAPE FEATURE (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- CLOCK TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- EARTHWORK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FISHPOND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOAT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- AVENUE (LANDSCAPE FEATURE) (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- PARK (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- CANAL (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- WOOD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to IPS: Post Medieval - 850 AD to 1900 AD)
- WOOD BANK (IPS: Early Late Saxon to IPS: Post Medieval - 850 AD to 1900 AD)
Ousden Hall (site of TL 7352 5962). Said to have been erected in the time of Queen Elizabeth for the Moseley family, but that the porch at the N end was all that survived of the original building (S1). 1924 copy of an earlier estate map shows a U-shaped building on site of later house (? house remodelled not rebuilt). Map also shows a U-shaped moat to the S of the house, the E arm running alongside the churchyard; a causeway at the S end gave access to the `Garden Pightle', which in turn had two fishponds on its S side (S2). Rebuilding in mid-18th century, again for the Moseleys, gave house a 5-bay, 2-storey entrance front with a central Venetian window, also a simple porch with Tuscan columns (S3). Park and avenue leading off on N side shown in 1783 (S4). Estate map of late 1830s shows H-shaped house, moat had been infilled except for the western arm that had been converted into a narrow canal. Two fishponds amalgamated into one larger one (S5). House further enlarged, including N & W porticos by Thomas Rickman for T J Ireland 1835-6 (S6). House illustrated 1907 (S7). House demolished 1955, leaving only the 19th century clock tower at the E end standing (S3, S6, S8) Large stable block to N of house has now been converted into Ousden House. This is red brick late 18th/19th century. It has stone fleurs-de-lys above some windows, this being a device in the Ireland coat-of-arms, which indicates building or rebuilding post 1835 wehn the Ireland's inherited the estate. The canal flanking the churchyard and the substantial earthwork terrace on its W side still survive, though overgrown with trees and scrub. The S half of the canal is still wet, but much silted (surprisingly, a map of 1885 shows a line of conifers down the canal (S9)). The flat-topped terrace on the W side has a line of yew trees along its W margin (?an overgrown hedge)(S10). Possibly early 18th century in date.
Includes possible ancient woodland remnant to south (Beech Plantation) which is defined by bank and outer ditch (OUS 010), plus various other internal earthworks (S11). Part of extension of park to west ?.
See OUS 004 for dovecote.
For possible large prospect mound see OUS 014.
See also (R1).
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <S1> SSF10948 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, site visit, 1993.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, V, 1909, 276.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracings from (S2) (S3) (S11); field notes 1993.
- <S2> SSF21851 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, 1429/11.
- <S3> SSF10209 (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Browne J et al, Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, vol III, E Anglia, 1981, 255-6.
- <S4> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S5> SSF21850 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, 1429/10.
- <S6> SSF2406 (No record type): Brown C, Haward B & Kindred R, Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, 1991, 166.
- <S7> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 287-8 & plate.
- <S8> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1975, 388.
- <S9> SSF12855 (No record type): OS, 1st edition 25in scale map, surveyed 1884, pub 1885.
- <S11> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SCCAS, Pendleton C, visit, Feb 2002.
- <S12> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2013 4:55PM