Monument record SNN 007 - Coldham Hall (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8640 5585 (823m by 524m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LAWSHALL, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD COMBUST WITH STANNINGFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- GREAT HOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
- GATEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- AVENUE (LANDSCAPE FEATURE) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOVECOTE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Coldham Hall. Built in 1574 by Robert Rookwood. It comprises a hall range recessed between two cross-wings, and is approached by a long carriage drive from the north-west. The building is H-shaped, of red brick with brick mullioned and transomed windows. Above the hall all along the house runs a long gallery, off it the former chapel of 1770's. Architectural details in Pevsner (S1)(S4). The service roms of the Hall are to be found in the north-east wing. The culinary offices are described in the 1893 particulars as comprising 'a large brick floor kitchen, a scullery with brick floor, a housekeeper's room, a larder, wood and coal-house, and wc' and that 'outside the house are dairy, coal-house, game larder and other offices, and large cellars below'. To the rear of the north-east winf is a former Roman Catholic chapel, understood to have been uilt in 1794, and for which a date of construction of c.1800 is suggested. The south-west red brick elevation of the chapel frames the garden against the rear of the Hall.
Twinned lodges (gatehouses) are shown at the entrance to the driveway at TL 8585 5610 (in Lawshall parish). Area delineated as mapped on OS 1st ed (S2). ?Avenue lining driveway to NW. Dovecote shown on 1958 6 inch map at TL 8644 5569.
1997: trenched and geophysical survey to SE of Coldham Hall failed to identify any features or deposits earlier than the hall itself. The ditch and bank in the area (moat? - see Med) is now thought likely to represent a formal garden of the late 17th to early 18th century. Details in (S5)(R2).
2014: The Grade II listed stable range was damaged in a fire. A Heritage Impact Statement was produced to support a planning application to restore the range. Store outbuilding to Coldham Hall, mid 19th century. Flint with red brick quoins and parapet gables. Pantiled roof, some tiles glazed. Various 19th century doors. A large central timber-framed bell-turret surmounting the roof, with large clock on 4 faces; the dates 1851 and 1927 painted in roundels within applied half-timbered panels. An open belfry above with exposed bells; copper-covered cupola with ball finial and weathervane. The bell-turret was brought from an outbuilding at Hardwick House, Bury St. Edmunds upon the sale of that estate in 1925 (S6). The stable originally possessed a central door between two high level windows. There remains a brick floor drainage channel, and evidence survives for a high-level plastered ceiling with no hayloft above. As well as the stables is a large coach-house which incrporated groom's accomodation at the southern end. As with the chapel the front was brick with the rear elevation of flint construction with red brick dressings. The coach-house and stable block weere altered c.1871, the hall was also altered at this date. In the second half of the 19th century ther house was lighted with gas supplied from a gasworks at the back of the house (S7).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 2nd ed, 1974, 173.
- <R1> SSF23224 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S2> SSF12422 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map (1st ed), sheet 54, 1836.
- <R2> SSF4167 (No record type): Cott P J, Geophysics survey report: Coldham Hall Suffolk, Rep 44/1, September 1997.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL85NE6, 1976.
- <S4> SSF10572 (No record type): Listed Building schedule, TL 85 NE, May 1986.
- <S5> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Boulter S, SCCAS report 97/54, Sept 1997, ill.
- <S6> SSF56379 Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List Entry Number: 1229770.
- <S7> SSF57082 Unpublished document: Collins, M.. 2014. Heritage Asset Assessment: Coldham Hall, Stanningfield.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 10 2016 3:36PM