Monument record SLY 051 - Probable Bronze Age round barrow, Shotley.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2432 3428 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Ring ditch shown as cropmark, about 30m diameter (S1).
A probable Bronze Age round barrow is visible as a cropmark in Shotley parish, centred on TM 24303429. The cropmark is roughly circular, and measures circa 20m in diameter. The cropmark is visible in a range of photographs over a number of years and appears to have a relatively wide ditch, up to approximately 3.5m in width. The width of the ditch and the diameter of the ring suggests that this feature is probably the site of a bronze age barrow, rather than a late prehistoric round-house. This feature is surrounded by a variety of cropmarks, including medieval or post-medieval field boundaries (SLY 044) and late prehistoric or Roman trackways and enclosures (ARW 020). (S2, S3).
- <S1> SSF11042 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs I, AP 44 & 45, 1990.
- <M1> SSF39480 (No record type): APs: Mrs I McMasters 44 & 45.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2434/14-5 (NMR 4631/03-4) 30-MAY-1990.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2434/23-4 (NMR 4851/12-3) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S4> SSF60019 Article in serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1977. Colchester Arch Group Bull 20 1977.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2021 12:53PM