Monument record OKY 017 - Church of St Nicholas

Please read our .

Summary

Church of St Nicholas.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 1572 7736 (134m by 77m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM17NE
Civil Parish BROME AND OAKLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Church of St Nicholas. Decorated C14 W tower built by Sir Robert Bucton in 1380 (S3). Early C15 S porch with fragments of C15 stained glass in windows. Perpendicular nave and chancel. Details in (S1)(S2) etc. Eric King notes `a stone post, meaning unknown, has always been in hedge nearby' (to ?DMV) and marks location beside road adjacent to NE corner of church on sketch map. Note: ?deserted Med village, OKY 016, to N.
April 1997: Recorded as lined(?) vertical dressed column of square section with rounded top and deep hole on E side. 1.5m high, 0.3m thick at base (S4).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 381-382.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3)(S4).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 335-336.
  • <S3> (No record type): King, E.D.. King E D (Parish Recorder), Local History record sheets & sketch map, April 1971.
  • <S4> (No record type): Swarbrick O, letter & site report, April 1997.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 6 2012 11:48AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.