Monument record BUC 030 - Field OS 7570, Bucklesham to Alton Water Raw Water Main, Bucklesham, (Prehistoric-Medieval).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2685 4186 (129m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
July 1991: Two possible prehistoric pottery sherds, worked flints and burnt flint were recovered during the watching brief, near the cropmark complex BUC 004. A series of trial trenches were then excavated across the line of the pipeline trench. This 40m stretch of pipeline was going across a depression on the edge of the filed that had silted up with hillwash or colluvium. The colluvium appeared to have formed a generally uniform layer which build up against the field edge. A possible pit was identified but did not contain finds. A mixed group of finds were recovered from the trial trenches, including heavily burnt flints, flakes, a barbed and tanged arrowhead, hand-made prehistoric pottery sherds, an Ipswich ware rim sherd and a few medieval sherds of pottery (S1).
Descriptions of flint finds (cores and flakes) are broad, dating to a specific period bracket is ill-advised. However, they may be later Prehistoric, based on proximity to ther finds in this record, (S2).
- <S1> SSF19793 Unpublished document: Newman, J. and Boulter, S.. 1991 & 1995. A Record of the Archaeological Works Associated with the Laying of the Bucklesham to Alton Water Raw Water Main.
- <S2> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- FSF12936: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF12937: FLAKE (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF12938: BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF12939: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF12940: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF12941: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 14th century - 1000 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF46173: BURNT FLINT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF46186: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF49982: CORE (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 31 2019 10:57AM