Monument record RBY 024 - Church of St Giles
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8022 6637 (66m by 52m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RISBY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
St Giles church. It has a Norman round tower, two tiers of arched openings at the top, a rude arch with one order of shafts into the nave. The nave is also Norman - the top of one former window is visible inside. The windows are mostly circa 1300; the doorway is also of that date. The Norman chancel arch is clearly decorated. The font is octagonal, Perpendicular with the signs of the Evangelists and the Annunciation. The pulpit is Jacobean. The pews have poppy-heads and decorated seat backs. There are lots of wall paintings (S1).
(Recorded in 'Risby' by Canon Webling - copy in parish file) Roman remains found at west end of the nave. Included a skeleton face down, a burnt patch in the clay, some lumps of slag and pieces of pottery (also some belemites).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 405-406.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 18 2008 4:41PM