Monument record ING 012 - Church of St Bartholomew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8551 7054 (82m by 69m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||INGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
There is a church recorded in Ingham in the Domesday book.
St Bartholomew's, Ingham, is situted S of the parish in the village. It was built in 1861 in the local style, with the use of old parts, especially the tower arch on two head corbels. (The old tower was probably begun C1455, according to a will of that year. ARA). Some C15 glass in the S porch, including the badge of Anne Boleyne. The Font, circa 1200, has a plain square bowl worked off a circular shaft with slightly moulded and concave chamfers. An unusual feature in this church is the corbelling out in masonry, near upper rood loft stairway door, of what must have been part of the floor of loft. The only old woodwork consists of four poppy-heads, a few pieces of rood loft tracery in pulpit panels and the six arched braces in chancel roof with carved spandrils, one of which has a pomegranate dating it as C16. (S1) (S2)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2012 11:02AM