Monument record CNW 011 - Church of St Mary

Please read our .


A church is recorded in the Domesday book.


Grid reference Centred TL 9715 7839 (75m by 74m) Centred on
Map sheet TL97NE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

A church is recorded in the Domesday book.
St Mary's Church is situated E of the parish, out of the village. Nave and chancel are both Decorated - the nave thatched. The W tower fell a long time ago. A two- bay N chancel chapel has been pulled down. The nave S wall and the S porch have knapped flint walls. In the outside chancel S wall is a low tomb recess. Inside there are two cusped niches to the left of the chancel arch and two, not quite so tall, to its right. There is an angle piscina in the chancel with angle shaft and a gable starting with vertical pieces. To its left the remains of a remarkably large niche which must have been placed in the angle between the E window and piscina. The font is octagonal and Decorated. It has a number of tracery motifs of the date and also a panel with twelve roses and two with big square leaves (S1).

2012: Archaeological monitoring was carried out during the creation of an emergency door through the north wall of the chancel of St Mary’s Church, Coney Weston. The new exit was cut through part of the infill of a blocked arcade of arches which once connected the chancel to a long-vanished chapel on the north side of the church. Perpendicular style windows inserted into the blocking indicates that the arches were infilled sometime between 1350 and 1500 and evidence that the arches were initially blocked with brick would suggest that it occurred towards the latter part of this period. There are no signs of the positions of either the walls of the former chapel or its roof line and the whole face has been re-pointed with a lime mortar in the very recent past. The extent of the former chapel is unknown but wall remains found previously in trial holes to the east of the chancel on the line of the north wall indicate it extended beyond the existing end of the church. Interior plaster preserved in the joint between the nave north wall return and the chancel suggests that the chapel also continued further west beneath the north side of the nave which was remodelled when the chapel was demolished. A horizon of compacted yellow/green clay, the remains of the medieval floor, was recorded at 420mm below the chancel’s current one (S2).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 174.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Gill D. 2012. Archaeological Monitoring Report, New Emergency Exit, St Mary's Church, Coney Weston.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 17 2022 2:39PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.