Monument record STN 031 - Brick Kiln Cottage
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8057 8546 (121m by 96m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
TL 8055 8547. Large mound of building material, mainly white brick but also coping stone etc., some tile. ?Remains of `Brick Kiln Cottage' still shown on 1980 OS map (S1). Concrete footings to S at TL 8057 8543 probably from former barn or outbuilding. Scatter of further building materials etc to SW of droveway includes fragment of green vitrified clay - evidence of unlocated kiln. Large (?brick clay) pit to SE of cottage site. ?Site of original kiln for Downham Hall rebuilt in circa 1790 - see STN 017. ?Named as brick kiln on estate map of 1791.
November 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Brick Kiln Cottages (as shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map, S3), together with an associated kiln and adjacent 'Old clay pit', are visible as earthworks and extant structures on aerial photographs, such as (S4). Remnants are also visible as earthworks on imagery from a recent lidar survey (S5). As the original features are depicted on readily accessible historical maps, the site has not been mapped by the project. The Monument Polygon defining the site, however, has been enlarged, to encompass the additional buildings and clay pit depicted on historical maps, and visible on the aerial photographs and lidar.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 1st November 2017.
- <S1> SSF12550 (No record type): OS, 1:10000 map, TL 88 NW, 1980.
- <S2> SSF20074 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, 1991.
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 RS 4005-4006 07-JUN-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Survey - Heritage Trail, Downham High Warren, High Lodge, Santon Downham (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-242983) (ESF23630)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (CP) (Ref: SAU (CP)) (ESF12542)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2018 4:40PM