Monument record LKD 003 - Mill Heath (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 777 714 (335m by 545m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Scatter of Rom pottery identified during excavation of Sax cemetery (LKD 001) "numerous scattered potsherds some 200 yards N of the cemetery". Lethbridge also investigated the location of the 'Cavenham Crowns' findspot and concluded that "the find was made either on the site of the cemetery itself or very close to it" (S1).
The Cavenham Crowns consist of one disc and chain headdress and two sheet bronze crowns. They were found circa 1921 close together at a depth of about 1.5 feet below the surface. The findspot was identified at a post by a Mr Ashley for Nina Layard who dug trenches and found a sheet bronze feather, pottery including Belgic, Castor (Nene Valley) and samian, animal remains, oyster shells, a few iron nails and roof tiles. (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S1) (R1) (R2).
Although the location is given in Layard as (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)
Fieldwalking finds included IA and Rom pottery, mainly in the areas identified above (S3). A gold coin of Valentinian was found at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) approx (S4) and hearsay metal detector information suggests a thin scatter of coins over the whole area. For coin hoard of Tetricus see LKD 044; also IA coins.
1997: Monitoring of pipeline through this area, located main area of activity is around (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), 50m layer of dark soil, and features, Roman finds from one feature, with further material found on the surface. 4 further ditches and various possible pits also located, for details see (S6).
- <R1> SSF10493 Article in serial: Layard, N.F.. 1925. Bronze Crowns and a Bronze Head-dress, from a Roman site at Cavenham Heath, Suffolk.. Layard N F, Antiquarian Journal, 5, 1925, 258-265.
- <S1> SSF10534 (No record type): Lethbridge, T.C.. Lethbridge T C, A Cemetery at Lackford Suffolk, CAS Quarto Publications NS VI, 1951, 8, map p.1.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of (S1).
- <R2> SSF10551 (No record type): Lewis, M.J.T.. Lewis M J T, Temples in Roman Britain, 1966, 125, 138, 141.
- <M2> SSF47070 (No record type): Photograph: (crowns); slide (S5).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE7, 1977.
- <S3> SSF18112 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J) field survey, 1981 (notes lost in burglary 1981).
- <S4> SSF21627 (No record type): Stimson D, 1980.
- <S5> SSF9906 (No record type): IPSMG, Slide (crown) CQO 18.
- <S6> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Plouviez J, SAU 1997.
- FSF23990: CROWN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23991: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23992: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23993: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23994: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23995: MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23996: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23997: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23998: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 1 2012 3:44PM