Monument record HGM 014 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0355 3522 (60m by 66m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HIGHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A church is listed in Higham in the Domesday Survey. Church of St. Mary, Perpendicular chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, Decorated W tower. Much restored. Pier arcade between nave and N aisle with carved caps to columns. Simple heavy W tower with small upper windows approx. C13 date. Tower arch double-chamfered - may be c 1300. Many moulded arches, hood-moulds on heads. Font, Perpendicular, octagonal, damaged and disused. Line of roof of former S porch remains above closed S doorway. Details in (S1)(S2). For description of Med tower fabric & structural analysis see (S3).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. p 271..
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. p 296..
- <M2> SSF46521 (No record type): AP: (S4).
- <S3> SSF3155 (No record type): Carr R, Church Fabric Record, SCCAS Report, 96/45, SAU, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/35/14, July 1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2012 11:12AM