Monument record NAC 042 - Orwell Park School; Orwell Park

Please read our .

Summary

Orwell Park - post medieval manor house and associated garden.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 2158 3961 (629m by 515m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM23NW
Civil Parish NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Orwell Park. On the site of Admiral Edward Vernon's house of 1725-9 (S1). House rebuilt by his nephew Francis Vernon, Lord Orwell, later Earl of Shipbrook, after he succeeded to the property in 1757 - date given as mid- Georgian (S2) or c 1770 (S3). Of this date the N side with 7 bays, 2 and a half storeys, 3 bay pedimented centre, red brick. House elongated 1851-3 by William Burn for George Tomline, further additions made in 1873 - notably the observatory tower. Of the earlier work there are the river front of the house, the winter-garden attached to the NW and the Italianate NW tower and perhaps the clock tower to the SE (S2)(S3).
The property was inherited by the Pretyman family, who sold the house in the 1930's to a boys school and built themselves a new classical house in the deer park called Orwell Park House (see NAC 0410 (S1)(S2). House rebuilt after 1757 by Viscout Orwell, with grounds stretching down to the river, and called Orwell Park. Entrance front faced the river. After a disastrous fire in the 1840's another rebuild was carried out, entrance front moved from the W to the E side. Previous entrance gate, of which a column remains, is N of the house. House then greatly enlarged in the early 1870's and observatory added. Clock tower built 1886. House sold in 1937 for a school (S4).

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> (No record type): Scarfe N, Shell Guide - Suffolk, 1976, 136..
  • <R1> (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S4).
  • <S2> (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Browne J et al, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, vol III, E Anglia, 1981, 255..
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 370..
  • <S4> (No record type): Dunlop M, SIA Excursion notes, 1988..

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 29 2005 3:27PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.