Monument record HLM 016 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1907 5763 (116m by 165m)|
|Civil Parish||HELMINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A church is mentioned in Helmingham in the Domesday survey of 1086. Church of St Mary. Consists of S doorway and porch. W tower (building contract of 1487/8 exists, but not finished until 1543 - date marked on SW corner of parapet). Details in (S1)(S2)(S3).
Iron (small?) spearhead from churchyard (S4).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 257-259.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 293..
- <S3> SSF239 (No record type): Anon, `Proceedings of the Congress', JBAA, 1865, 266.
- <S4> SSF22763 (No record type): Walters J G per IPSMG, card 1948-16.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2012 11:12AM