Monument record DAL 015 - Dalham Hall and Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7260 6309 (1268m by 1461m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||DALHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Dalham Hall - built 1704-5 for Simon Patrick DD, Bishop of Ely. Red brick, formerly 3 storeys but reduced to 2 and reroofed following a fire in 1954. 7-bay front, central 3 windows set forward. Stables early C18 red brick, with extensions of 1906 at either end. 10 bays, 2 storeys (S1 & S2). Estate purchased by Bishop Patrick (d.1707) in 1702 and sold by his son, Simon, to John Affleck (d.1718) in 1714. Estate owned by Afflecks down to the C19. Purchased circa 1900 by Cecil Rhodes, the founder of Rhodesia (S3). Park around the house shown on Emanuel Bowen's Map of Suffolk 1755. J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783 shows a park similar in shape to the C20 one; the cruciform lawns are indicated as well as the vista between Shadowbush and Three Stile Woods. The avenue leading west from the church is also shown, but it is not clear whether the south avenue is also represented. At the time of the Enclosure, 1818, the Gazeley road was diverted further west and the park extended out over the old road (S4).
Significant features of the Park are:
1. The long axial line running from the south through the chestnut avenue, through the centre of the house, along one of the ponds (probably post 1818 in date) and along the rides between Shadowbush and Three Stile Woods and between Little and Big Crane's Wood. Probably early C18.
2. The wide cruciform rides called the Lawns in the woods. These also seem to be aligned on the house.
3. An avenue called The Ride leading westward from the church.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 183.
- <S2> SSF10571 Index: Listed Building Register. Listed Building Register.
- <S3> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol V, 218-9.
- <S4> SSF21550 Cartographic materials: SRO B 279/5. SRO B 279/5.
- <S5> SSF59814 Index: DoE. 1973. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) Mildenhall RD Suff 1949 4.
- <S6> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF23220 Unpublished document: Williamson, T.. 1993. A Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S9> SSF59926 Unpublished document: Martin E. 1993. Notes by EM 1993.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 20 2021 1:11PM