Monument record ADB 019 - Rectilinear pattern of apparent banks in low lying area of fens.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4560 5943 (296m by 186m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Rectilinear pattern of apparent banks in low lying area of fens (which lie mostly in neighbouring parish of Aldringham cum Thorpe). These could form field boundaries or relate to drains (S1). See ARG 006.
March 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A series of possible ditch features is visible on aerial photographs (S2)-(S3) on land to the south of The Fens, Aldeburgh. It was difficult to be certain of their nature, but it was considered likely that they represent peat cutting ditches similar to those to the north (SHER ARG 006) and they may be of medieval to post medieval origin.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th March 2015.
- <S1> SSF17404 (No record type): RAF, AP 1953, 540/1082/0006.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RP 3257-3258 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/540/1082 V 0005-0006 24-FEB-1953 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23192)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2015 12:45PM