Monument record ADB 020 - World War Two strongpoint comprising communication trenches and pillboxes
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 455 591 (490m by 331m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Series of 1st(?) World War training trenches, mainly serpentine, some zig-zag plus small irregular enclosures/redoubts? (S1).
Site visit with the RSPB confirmed the site as a WWII stronghold, comprising a network of communication trenches linking 3 (of which 2 survive) Suffolk square pillboxes and dug-outs (S2).
For similar trenches see Barking (BRK) 021 & Icklingham (IKL) 107 [& Mildenhall (MNL) 519 & Flixton (FLN) 061?].
March 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A series of World War Two training trenches is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs (S3-S9) on land to the east of Leiston Road, Aldeburgh, some of which were extant as recently as 2010 (S9) and may still be extant, along with the two surviving pillboxes.
It is possible that some of these trenches may date to World War One, as stated above, although this could not be confirmed from the available aerial photographs.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th March 2015.
- <S1> SSF18602 (No record type): SAU, AP ALO 008, November 1978.
- <S2> SSF54093 Verbal communication: Poppy, S. 30/9/2011. Site visit with Dave Thurlow, RSPB Warden.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5049-5050 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RP 3255-3256 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/540/1082 V 0003-0004 24-FEB-1953 (EHA Original Print).
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1672 F22 0151-0152 03-MAR-1955 (EHA Original Print).
- <S7> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/82/1214 F22 0446-0447 06-JUN-1955 (EHA Original Print).
- <S8> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/94004 V 101-102 04-MAR-1994 (EHA Original Print).
- <S9> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TM4559 Environment Agency 2m DSM 30-NOV-2010.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23192)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2015 12:59PM