Monument record HVH 024 - A604 Haverhill Bypass (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 656 449 (100m by 85m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
September 1993: Rom and IA features were located on the W side of the stripped land for the A604 bypass. These comprised ditches, which ran E-W across the width, a broad shallow hollow, a few shallow features, a pit and a semi-circular gully. Towards the bottom of the slope was a 30cm layer of silty hillwash containing 1st century IA and Rom pottery (S1)(S2). Details in site archive.
1995: Metal detecting to W of road extended area of Rom finds which include 22 Rom coins, a chatelaine (probably for suspending toilet implements), a small tapered bronze shaft (use & date unknown) and a few sherds of pottery. Details and drawings in (S3). Also Rom(?) flat plate disc brooch from adjoining area to N - see HVH 028 (Med).
- <S1> SSF19182 (No record type): SAU, Caruth J, excavation archive, 1993.
- <M1> SSF44087 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, Archaeol in Suffolk, 1993, Excavations, forthcoming.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file (S3).
- <S3> SSF6909 (No record type): Goff R pre SAU (Plouviez J), finds report & Rom coin ID sheet, August 1995, ill.
- FSF19041: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19042: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19043: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19044: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19045: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19046: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF19047: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Apr 18 1996 12:00AM