Monument record BSE 117 - Medieval and post-medieval activity at t Mary's Square
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8579 6373 (50m by 58m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
February 1994: Machine (mainly) excavation to subsoil surface of three trenches for planning application. Mass of features observed, recorded and partly excavated. Pottery includes shelly (St Neots type?) wares and some residual Ipswich ware sherds (S1)( S2).
1997: Monitoring of footing trenches for two new buildings revealed evidence of medieval occupation Numerous pits and an oven were found representing activity taking place behind houses fronting onto South Gate Street and an area of post-medieval pits including two flint and mortar-lined wells which were found in the north of the site (S3). Residual Middle Saxon Ipswich ware and Iron Age flint gritted pottery were also recovered (S3)(S4)
February 2000: Watching Brief located made-up ground and deeper pits plus chalk surfaces (floors?) of ?PMed date (S5).
- <S1> SSF19293 (No record type): SAU, Gill D, Assessment Archive.
- <M1> SSF41822 (No record type): Assessment archive:.
- <S2> SSF50861 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. 1994. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land between St. Mary's Square and Southgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, BSE 117.
- <S3> SSF50971 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 1997. Archaeological Monitoring Report: St Marys Square, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 38 (3), 1995, p.350.
- <S5> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Caruth J, Watching Brief Report, April 2000.
- FSF14903: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF14904: POTTERY ST NEOTS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 14th century - 850 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- FSF14905: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF14906: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF26434: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2018 3:03PM