Monument record FHM 016 - Felsham Castle

Please read our .

Summary

`A mansion, called the Castle, the seat of the Reynolds family, was pulled down about the end of the 18th century, and a farm house erected on the site' (present `Mausoleum House')(S1)(S2).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 946 568 (249m by 469m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL95NW
Civil Parish FELSHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

`A mansion, called the Castle, the seat of the Reynolds family, was pulled down about the end of the 18th century, and a farm house erected on the site' (present `Mausoleum House')(S1)(S2). Main house shown (not named) on Hodskinson 1783 map (S3) and on Bowen's 1755 map where ownership given as `Reynold Esq' (S4). Mansion called `The Castle' pulled down and materials sold (circa 1791). Also listed (the `farm house' which replaced it?) as divided into 4 tenements in 1844 (S5). Note remains of stone facing pillars at Castle Farm (FHM 007) and Grange Farm. Described by (John) Wesley as one of the grandest houses he had ever seen (S2).
Brick Mausoleum remains at TL 9454 5675 built for only child of Mr Reynolds, circa 1755 (S5). Size of original lands, gardens & outbuildings not known but delineated on HER map to include stables and Mausoleum site. A note by Sir John Cullum states, "John Reynolds, esq, who lived in the capital mansion in this parish ... was buried in a mausoleum which he had erected in a field at the back of his house. He died in August 1759, aged 85, and left his estate to a Dr Scott of London ... (S7). Kirby states `There is a neat mansion here, being lately the seat of the late Mr Reynolds, and now of Dr Scott' (S8).

Sources/Archives (8)

  • --- Cartographic materials: Bowen E. 1755. Accurate Map of the County of Suffolk.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 140.
  • <S2> Personal Correspondence: Hart Mrs A. 1994. February 1994. Hart Mrs A, February 1994.
  • <S3> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <S5> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, The Parishes of England: Suffolk, 1974 ed, 212.
  • <S7> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, The Manors of Suffolk, 6, 1910, 266.
  • <S8> (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, The Suffolk Traveller, 2nd ed, 1764, 223-4.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 3 2016 11:15AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.