Monument record FHM 016 - Felsham Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 946 568 (249m by 469m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FELSHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
`A mansion, called the Castle, the seat of the Reynolds family, was pulled down about the end of the 18th century, and a farm house erected on the site' (present `Mausoleum House')(S1)(S2). Main house shown (not named) on Hodskinson 1783 map (S3) and on Bowen's 1755 map where ownership given as `Reynold Esq' (S4). Mansion called `The Castle' pulled down and materials sold (circa 1791). Also listed (the `farm house' which replaced it?) as divided into 4 tenements in 1844 (S5). Note remains of stone facing pillars at Castle Farm (FHM 007) and Grange Farm. Described by (John) Wesley as one of the grandest houses he had ever seen (S2).
Brick Mausoleum remains at TL 9454 5675 built for only child of Mr Reynolds, circa 1755 (S5). Size of original lands, gardens & outbuildings not known but delineated on HER map to include stables and Mausoleum site. A note by Sir John Cullum states, "John Reynolds, esq, who lived in the capital mansion in this parish ... was buried in a mausoleum which he had erected in a field at the back of his house. He died in August 1759, aged 85, and left his estate to a Dr Scott of London ... (S7). Kirby states `There is a neat mansion here, being lately the seat of the late Mr Reynolds, and now of Dr Scott' (S8).
- --- SSF1406 Cartographic materials: Bowen E. 1755. Accurate Map of the County of Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 140.
- <S2> SSF7329 Personal Correspondence: Hart Mrs A. 1994. February 1994. Hart Mrs A, February 1994.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S5> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S6> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, The Parishes of England: Suffolk, 1974 ed, 212.
- <S7> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, The Manors of Suffolk, 6, 1910, 266.
- <S8> SSF10311 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, The Suffolk Traveller, 2nd ed, 1764, 223-4.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2016 11:15AM