Monument record DRK 010 - Drinkstone Park; The Canal

Please read our .

Summary

Drinkstone Park and Mansion(R1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 946 613 (1038m by 1329m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL96SW
Civil Parish DRINKSTONE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish HESSETT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Drinkstone Park, created mainly in C18th (R1). Mansion said to have been built in 1760 by Joshua Grigby Esq (S1). Demolished circa 1953 (S3). Photo in (S1). Shown with park on Hodskinsons map of 1783 when owned by Jos Grigby Esq (Joshua Grigby was High Sheriff in 1810)(S2). Park defined as Hodskinson.
Also see Tithe map & documents in Suffolk Record Office, includes The Canal, Landscape lake? with small islands, one of which shows a circular building on 1904 map (S4).
Possibly area of Med deer park - see Misc.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <R1> (No record type): Williamson Dr T, A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk, 1993.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 127 ill.
  • <S2> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
  • <S4> (No record type): OS, 1:2600 map, 1904.
  • <S5> Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 15 2017 3:04PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.