Monument record NWN 004 - Nowton Park, The Paddock, Breckey Ley Park; Court Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8666 6167 (1185m by 1471m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NOWTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (19th century to 20th century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (19th century to 20th century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- AVENUE (LANDSCAPE FEATURE) (19th century to 20th century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLEASURE GARDEN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SERPENTINE PATH (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Landscape Park. Bought and built up by Orbell Oakes, estate 125ha, built up between 1801 and 1837 through piecemeal purchases. Includes a small farmhouse Nowton Cottage which was refurbished in 1819 with a rustic porch, thatched roof and dormer windows and an ornamental landscape around it. Densly planted pleasure grounds to south, serpentine paths, conifers and a rustic summer house. 1827 park expanded to include Harp Paddock. Orbell's son extended the house 1837-1840 renamed Nowton Court and associated gardens included a series of geometric flower bed to the west and south of the house, parterres to east beyond which lay an extensive shrubbery (S3)(R1).
Shown on OS 1st edition map (S4).
Nowton Court, `a C19 mansion in the Tudor style. Inside some fine wooden panelling and a fireplace surround dated 1607' (Flemish?). `In the grounds a stone archway said to be the S porch of St Mary, Bury St Edmunds (BSE 058), and a square font (of the C12?) from Lakenheath' (S1).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 381.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF46569 (No record type): AP: (S2).
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/14/1, June 1997.
- <S3> SXS50146 Monograph: Williamson, T.. 2000. Suffolk's Gardens and Parks - Designed Landscapes from the Tudors to the Victorians. p. 119-120, p.140.
- <S4> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2018 2:16PM