Monument record PLS 019 - Polstead Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 987 380 (888m by 883m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||POLSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Polstead Deer Park. A deer park is listed at Polstead by Hoppitt, first recorded in 1300 (Cal. IPM. Vol III, No 519), recorded again 1360 and probably in use till at least 1600 (S1)(S5).
A park is marked on Saxton's map of 1575 (S2). Illustrated on Hodskinson's 1783 map, depicted as slightly going over the road to the north, and the church standing on the eastern boundary of the park (S3). The park was expanded between 1783 and 1817, brining the church within the park as shown on the enclosure map and Tithe Award map (S4). Two polygons mapped on HER - second polygon maps 19th century expansion and includes fishponds.
See PLS 057 for Polstead Hall
- <S1> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
- <S2> SSF50162 Cartographic materials: Saxton, C.. 1575. SVFFOLCIA.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S4> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S5> SSF50165 Bibliographic reference: Hoppitt, R.. 1999. 'Deer Parks 1086-c.1602', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF59990 Bibliographic reference: Whittaker, J. 1892. Deer Parks & Paddocks of Eng.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S8> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2021 9:39AM