Monument record SUY 035 - Church of All Saints
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8686 4097 (61m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church and churchyard of All Saints. Consists of Perpendicular W tower, nave, aisles, clerestory, chancel with family chapels.
C. 1459: N aisle
C. 1465: S chapel. Also C15 W & N doors, pulpit and font (S1)(S2).
Purchased, along with Ballingdon Chapel (BCB 017), by Adam the Monk, in 1120 (S3).
c.1994: A terracotta figure was found in the church walls (of the 1390s) thought to be earliest of its type found in England (S4).
HER mapping enlarged to include extent of burial ground as shown on 1880s OS mapping (May 2011).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 354.
- <S3> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 339.
- <S4> SSF50058 Bibliographic reference: Newspaper Article. EADT, 17 October 1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2012 12:24PM