Monument record NHC 004 - Church of St Peter, Little Worlingham (site of) (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4598 8931 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH COVE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Possibly one of the two Domesday churches in Worlingham, if not North Cove (see Worlingham 003 CRN 01534 and North Cove 005 CRN 01547). In existence 1291 (Taxatio Ecclesiastica) (S1).
'Worlingham All Saints and St Peter. The latter structure has been down many years and was probably not used after 1492 when the two parishes were consolidated' (R1).
Little Worlingham, a decayed parish of 114 acres was incorporated in North Cove in 1797. Inclosure of Commons Act, 36 George III, c 69 (S1).
About 24 skeletons found, heads to W in Eastern Gas trench. Sherds included Rom, Thetford ware, Med. SAU June 1980. Church plan excavated during road construction (S2).
For details of excavation and documentary search see (S4).
See also (S5)
- <S1> SSF18030 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), undated.
- <R1> SSF21719 (No record type): Suckling Reverend A, History of Antiquities of Suffolk, 1, 1846, 108.
- <M1> SSF43143 (No record type): Excavation file:.
- <S2> SSF18164 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), undated.
- <S3> SSF20767 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk parishes a guide to their archaeology and history, 1984- 1985, Ms.
- <S4> SSF50028 Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. SAU, Carr R D, The Excavation of St Peter's Church, Worlingham Parva, Aug 1980, ill.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 35 (1) 1981 p78.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2022 11:08AM