Monument record BRD 121 - Trapezoid enclosure aligned with avenue/ roadway
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7720 8485 (139m by 131m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Trapezoid enclosure to N of and aligned with avenue/roadway BRD 120. Delineated on 1891 and 1905 maps (S3). Partially survives ((S1)(S2) as a low bank c. 30cm high. The SE corner was levelled by (recent?) Forestry Commission planting. Probably contemporary with C19(?) avenue to S. Interior clear of woodland (most of surrounding area wooded) in 1891 (OS, 1:10560 map) but mainly wooded by 1905 (S3).
December 1997: Surviving SW corner felled and replanted in furrows. Earthworks damaged by furrows but still mostly visible. No artefacts visible on disturbed surface areas (S4).
2015: A walkover survey revealed that it was possible to identify the line of the bank to the east of the main NW–SE track through the centre of the heath, but little or no trace of the earthworks to the west of the line of the track was apparent (S5).
- <S1> SSF5489 (No record type): E Anglian Orienteering Assoc, 1:15000 map, Brandon Park, 1990.
- <S2> SSF20220 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, site visit, May 1995.
- <S3> SSF12596 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 & 1:2500 maps, 1891 & 1905.
- <S4> SSF20219 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, site visit, January 1998.
- <S5> SSF55634 Unpublished document: Hoggett, R.. 2015. Historic Environment Assessment of Brandon Park Heath, Brandon.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2017 11:43AM