Monument record HRK 046 - Possible irregular rectilinear enclosure of unkown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 202 334 (100m by 143m)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1993: Cropmark of irregular enclosure, open ended to S where slope drops to estuary. Partially traversed by course of former silt filled inlet. Numerous dark blobs, possibly pits, both inside and outside enclosed area. Also three visible sides of small square rectangular enclosure with circa 20m long sides outside and to NW of irregular enclosure (S1-S2).
A possible irregular rectilinear enclosure is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on TM 20293350 to the south of Beaumont Hall in Harkstead parish. The enclosure is defined by two parallel angled ditches which at the southern end, close to the river, appear to run nearly to the estuary edge. The northern end of the enclosure is partially closed but there is a wide gap at the most northerly corner. The date and function of the enclosure are unclear and it is possible that the ditches could also represent field boundaries. (S1-S3) The alignment of the northern end of the enclosure appears to be similar to that of some nearby linear features recorded in HRK019. There are also a number of cropmarks of natural features visible on the photographs and the dark blobs are likely to be of natural orgin. The linear ditch cutting the enclosure is probably a modern drain or field boundary and therefore has not been transcribed. (S4)
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/7 (4839/82) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/8 (4839/83) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2033/1 (956/399) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 09/12/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 2:24PM