Monument record CDD 050 - Shrubland Quarry phases 2 & 3; Smyes Corner (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1200 5386 (251m by 181m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
December 1995: Phase 2 evaluation trenches in proposed mineral extraction area. LIA occupation site identified towards north of site. Features include pits, ditches, post holes and post pads (pottery, struck flints, worked flint, fired clay, burnt flint/stone, animal bones). Finds located in spoil (hooked tag, dress fastener, ring & dot decoration (?Msax) and EMed key, possibly 16-19th century). Main features appear to be `IA' ditches and pits - details in (S1).
November 1996: Field boundary ditches. See (S9) for more detail on this year.
October - December 1999: Phase 3, c.31,000 sq m fully excavated by SCC Archaeological Service. For pre-asssessment report see (S2).
2002: updated assessment and project design (S6).
Struck flints: A total of 136 pieces of struck flint, probably mainly of (Early?) Iron Age date, were recovered from the site. The flint is mainly mid to dark grey in colour with a small number of pieces being a pale greyish brown. Cortex, where present, includes occassional white already patinated surfaces or cortex and various dirty white to orangey cream from gravel nodules. For discussion see (S7).
Pottery: a total of 1,730 sherds of Later Prehistoric pottery,some LNeo/EBA ( 20 sherds) but mainly (1705 sherds) EIA. Details in (S8).
- --- SSF60584 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 1996. Shurblnad Park Eastate, Coddenham, Evaluation Report.
- --- SSF60585 Unpublished document: Abbot, C.. 1996. Shrubland Park Estate Quarry, Coddenham, Archaeological Monitoring.
- <S1> SSF17939 (No record type): SAU (Boulter S), December 1995.
- <M1> SSF43710 (No record type): Evaluation archive:.
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Topham-Smith C & Anderson S, SCCAS Report 2000/06, May 2000.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish Files. (S2)(S3)(S4).
- <S3> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Abbott C, SCCAS Report 96/73, November 1996.
- <S4> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Boulter S, SCCAS Report, 96/85, , January 1996.
- <S5> SSF60595 Unpublished document: Newman, .J. 1999. Shrubland Quarry, Coddenham, Archaeological Excavation 1999.
- <S6> SSF60594 Unpublished document: Anderson, S.. 2002. Assessment & updated project design: Smye's Corner, Shrublands Quarry, Coddenham.
- <S7> SSF50011 Finds Report: Thomas, G.. 1999. SCCAS Finds Record. Bates S, NAU, draft(?) report on 'The Flint', Dec 2002.
- <S8> SSF60634 Unpublished document: Percival, S.. 2002. The Prehistoric Pottery: Coddenham CDD 050.
- <S9> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.92.
- <S10> SSF60581 Unpublished document: Watson, J.. 2006. The identification of organic material associated with metalwork from the Anglo-Saxon Cemetery, Smythes Corner (Shrublands Quarry), Coddenham, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological Evaluation - Shrubland Park Estate, Coddenham (Ref: SAU (SB)) (ESF15575)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological Monitoring - Shrubland Park Estate Quarry, Coddenham (Ref: ) (ESF18230)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Shrubland Quarry phases 2 & 3; Smyes Corner, Coddenham (Ref: ) (ESF18277)
Record last edited
Dec 6 2022 3:22PM