Monument record ELV 036 - Post medieval enclosure within Elveden Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7987 8210 (584m by 531m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- RABBIT WARREN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- RABBIT WARREN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Enclosure marking `Elveden Upper Warren' . Large earthwork banks c. 4m wide x 2m high. Central pit suggests arable usage at some stage (S1).
Earthwork enclosure linked by earthwork bank (see ELV 037) to boundary banks of Wangford/ Elveden warren banks in the east (WNG 025 & ELV 024). Large earthwork banks c.2.5m wide and 1.2m high (S1). Eastern edge visible from B1106. The 1841 tithe map marks this as `The Warren Enclosure' (S2). An arable field (marl pit still visible in centre) within Elveden Warren, presumably banked to keep rabbits out. Although much larger compared to so-called arable plots on Lakenheath Warren, LKH 063-066.
Jan 2013: south bank observerved - circa 1m high and 12m wide (S3).
January 2019. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The banks defining the rectilinear enclosure described above are visible as earthworks on imagery from a 2015 lidar survey (S4). They correspond with boundaries depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map (S5). The enclosure is presumably of post medieval date, and is one of several recorded within Elveden Warren (SHER ELV 039). As the lidar survey was flown relatively recently, it is probable that the earthworks still survive largely intact.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 18th January 2019.
- <S1> SSF20813 (No record type): SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, November 1994.
- <S2> SSF5696 Map: 1841. Elveden Tithe Map. Elveden Tithe map, 1841, SRO(B) T57/1,2.
- <S3> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Pendleton C (SCCAS), Jan 2013.
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S5> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2019 1:39PM