Monument record FRK 044 - North Street (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6687 7241 (43m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s): Metal detector finds of two C13 seal matrices. One pointed oval shape. Fleur-de-lys with surrounding inscription `The seal of John Modi...'. The other circular & flat with pierced suspension lug. Central star-shaped design, with inscription `The seal of John Vinneton/Vinnecou'. Details in (S1)(S2).
Also from rest of small (circa 1 ha) field a silver half penny of Henry III (AD 1216-1272), a limited amount of Med (?not seen) pottery, and a twin perforated Rom coin (also listed under Rom).
1997: Also from whole field, coin Edward III(?) and Henry II penny (S3).
December 2000: Evaluation trenching in advance of woodland planting revealed an ESax pit on the north edge of the field. This contained ESax and Rom pottery + ESax pin and could possibly be a SFB. Other scattered features were either undated or Med. Mixed period finds were recovered from the surface. Details in (S4).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF5598 (No record type): EDARG per SAU (Pendleton C & Martin E), finds report, December 1995.
- <S2> SSF5594 (No record type): EDARG per SAU ( Pendleton C, Plouviez J & Martin E), finds report, October 1995.
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. King M (MADDC) per SAU (CP), Finds Report, April 1997.
- <S4> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. SCCAS, Caruth J, 2001/01, January 2001.
- FSF18541: SEAL (13th century to 14th century - 1201 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF18542: COIN (13th century to 14th century - 1201 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF18543: POTTERY (13th century to 14th century - 1201 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF25475: COIN (12th century - 1154 AD to 1189 AD)
- FSF26118: POTTERY (15th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1401 AD to 1600 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2009 5:07PM