Building record FRK 073 - Redlodge Warrener's Lodge; Red Lodge (PH)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 69 69 (25m by 15m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||RED LODGE, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Redlodge Warrener's lodge associated with Redlodge Rabbit Warren (See FRK 117).
Evidence of a rabbit warren since 1249 when a grant of free warren was granted to the Bishop of Rochester.
c1295 Ealfred (or Galfrido?) le warrener appears as a witness on a deed relating to the transfer of lands (S3)(R1)(R2).
1734: Mention of 'The Warren House' one furlong from the county boundary (R3).
The only building marked on Hodskinson's map (S1) is probably the same as the surviving `The Red Lodge' Inn at TL 6941 7000 which may include part of the original Warrener's Lodge.
Surviving elements of the Lodge are visible from outside red brick C18(?) structure. Possibly affected by turnpike road of 1768 (though probably road existed earlier) and C20 development and 1990s bypass.
September 2000: Internal inspection of interior revealed room c.38' x 15' constructed of stone to a height of c.5'6". Thereafter Tudor brick. Details and sketch plan in parish file (S2). Probably medieval Warrener's lodge of national importance.
2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breakland identified possible boundary of rabbit warren (FRK 117) and location of Lodge. Red Lodge Inn may include part of the warrener's lodge. Inside is a room 11m x 4m of which the walls are of chalk and 16th-century brickwork (S3).
- <R1> SSF17556 (No record type): Registrum Roffense, Charter of Henry III concerning the Right of Free warren in the manors of Frecke.
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <R2> SSF17560 (No record type): Registrum Roffense, Grant of lands with houses made to the Vicar of Frakenham by Thomas de Wallis, c.
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Geddes S, per Field Report, 27 September 2000.
- <R3> SSF50038 Bibliographic reference: Kirby, J.. 1764. Suffolk Traveller.
- <S3> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 22.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 29 2018 11:28AM