Monument record FRK 117 - Red Lodge Warren

Please read our .

Summary

Area of Red Lodge Warren, evidence since 1249 into the post-medieval period, see FRK 073 for Warrener's Lodge.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 69570 70429 (1237m by 1267m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL67SE
Civil Parish FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish RED LODGE, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Red Lodge Rabbit Warren, associated with Red Lodge Warrener's Lodge (FRK 073).

A grant of free warren was granted to the Bishop of Rochester in 1249.
Circa 1290: Ealfred (or Galfrido?) le warrener appears as a witness on a deed relating to the transfer of lands (S1)(R1).
1295: Galfreds "le warrenner" named. By circa 1314 named as Galfred Warrener. The family name Warren/Warrener recurs frequently after this. There is however no specific evidence of a rabbit warren as no mention is made of rabbits in a list of tithes due in 1347 (S1)(R2).

The warren is recorded under tithe payments in 1627 (payment of 6 shillings, 8 pence per half year) & in 1631 and 1636 (13 shillings, 3d per year)(S2).

In 1826 Red Lodge Farm & Warren is recorded as being 579 acres in area. Limits of warren not known.

Surviving elements of the Lodge (FRK 073) are visible from outside red brick C18(?) structure. Possibly affected by turnpike road of 1768 (though probably road existed earlier) and C20 development and 1990s bypass.

2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breakland identified possible boundary of rabbit warren and location of Lodge (FRK 073). Most of the warren area was sold in 1926 for the building of Red Lodge village and housing in 1980/2000. Little now remains of the warren bank. The 1824 Enclosure Map shows two banked rectangular enclosures of 10 acres and 11 acres within the warren (S3).

Note: three sub-square enclosed areas (of 10.225, 11.136 & 6.8707 acres) are recorded within the warren - see FRK 036, 049 & 050, of which one, FRK 050, may have enclosed the Red Lodge (see FRK 050 and 1824 enclosure map).
Formerly part of Freckenham parish.

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <R1> (No record type): Registrum Roffense, Charter of Henry III concerning the Right of Free warren in the manors.
  • <S1> (No record type): Callard E, The Manor of Freckenham, 1924, 86, 183, 193 & 211.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Receipt Book for Tithes, Offerings etc 1621-1638 & 1674-1679. Receipt Book for Tithes, Offerings etc 1621-1639 & 1674-1679, ms, SRO (Bury), FL 515/3/1.
  • <R2> (No record type): Registrum Roffense, Ordination of the Vicarage of Frakenham etc, 1347.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 22.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (4)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 29 2018 11:42AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.