Monument record FRK 169 - Beck Hall (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Presumed Hall site. Formerly recorded as FRK MISC

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 66 73 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)
Map sheet TL67SE
Civil Parish FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Presumed Hall site. Beck/Bek/Beckhall was a sub-manor of Freckenham. Named in the Inquisition Post Mortum of Thomas Wodehous in 1452, owned by Robert Payton in 1556 and acquired by Robert Tovull & others in 1559 (S1). Location in NW area of parish, adjacent to Isleham parish boundary, suggested by `Beck Common',`Beck Green' and `Beck Bridge' names on 1824 enclosure map (S2) around TL 662 732.
Could be same as moated site, FRK 004? although this is some 700m to S.

Formerly recorded as FRK MISC

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
  • <S2> (No record type): Freckenham Enclosure Map, 1824, SRO (Bury), Q/R1/17.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 5 2018 3:13PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.