Monument record GFD 006 - Church of St Mary

Please read our .

Summary

St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8342 4846 (126m by 150m)
Map sheet TL84NW
Civil Parish GLEMSFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese. Sudbury archdeaconry, Sudbury deanery. Status : rectory. Structure : chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, N and S porches, embattled W tower. Date : mostly late Perpendicular, lower tower and chancel and nave arches Early English. Church is in the E of parish (S5). The S porch is in the late Perpendicular style. "The nave and chancel arches are Early English, those to the chancel aisles late Perpendicular. The nave arches are pointed; those on the N side segmental, on the S horseshoe shape. The lower part of the tower is Early English". "The nave has a curious high pitched king-post roof, with the rafters formed into cants". The font is Perpendicular (S2). The whole of the S aisle is stone and flint panelled, standing on a traceried stone base and with pinnacled parapet apparently all of early C16". Inscription on parapet of chancel aisle reads : "JOHN GOLDYNG JOAHN HYS WIFE THE FOUNDERS OF THIS CHAPEL AN IYLAS (aisles)" (precis) (S3). In May 1983 the SIA visited St Mary's and saw the results of the church's restoration and re-ordering which took place between 1864 and 1867. The Georgian ordering of the church had been retained. The nave and aisles had been restored and new roofs given to the nave, N and S aisles. "New clerestory walls and windows, decayed stonework replaced". The chancel was restored in 1867. Pews, floor of pammets, bricks and gravestones all removed. The floor was paved with Maws tiles and the body of the church was benched (precis) (S1).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 332.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 152-153.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 289.
  • <S4> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84NW29, 1980.
  • <S5> (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeology and history, 1984- 1985, ms.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 9 1986 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.