Monument record LDG 004 - Church of St Mary (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7206 5816 (85m by 74m)|
|Civil Parish||LIDGATE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Mildenhall deanery. Status : rectory. Structure : chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, W tower. Date : chancel Early English, nave, aisles, tower Decorated. The church lies in the centre of the parish (S5).
The SIA visited Lidgate church in July 1861 and described it as "most noteworthy for some very good early decorated work" (S1).
"Norman nave. S doorway of Norman proportions, but given Perpendicular mouldings". C13 chancel. W tower late C13 or early C14. Pulpit Jacobean (precis) (S2). "The nave, aisles and tower are Decorated with some Perpendicular insertions". "In 1853 the chancel was partially restored" and again in 1863. In 1895 the nave and aisles were restored (precis) (S3). "Very plain octagonal early C15 font with simple pyramidal Stuart cover". "Late C15 parclose screen in N aisle". Early C14 piscina (precis) (S4). Also Sax.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 413.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1975 (second edition, 333.
- <S3> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 240-242.
- <S4> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 325.
- <S5> SSF20788 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, a guide to their archaeology and history,1984- 1985, ms.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2021 9:55AM