Monument record ERL 101 - RAF Lakenheath; New Dental Clinic; Oxford Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7321 8056 (199m by 134m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
July 1996: car Park adjacent to Bldg 957 - `Watching Brief' excavation of trench located a group of seven features in the sides of a trench alongside Oxford Road within 13m stretch of the trench. Details in (S1). Location needs checking.
For further finds & features see (S1). Many contained large quantities of charcoal, and there were small amounts of Roman and Han-made pottery which could be Iron Age or Saxon. The most substantial features were two ditches which were aligned N.N.E.-S.S.W. Fragments of an articulated skeleton were also recovered from a disturbed context. (S5).
November 1998: Monitoring revealed two Early Saxon sunken features buildings and eleven small pits and post holes of associated date. Six ditches which predate the Saxon remains were uncovered, however could not be dated. Mesolithic and Early Neolithic flint was recovered from the natural blown sand and as redeposited from later features (S4). Most of the features and the pottery found in 1996 may also have been Esax.
Summer 2001: excavation further to W (New Dental Clinic) - revealed residual flintwork of mainly Neo & EBA date, some prehistoric pottery (IA?), a Roman field system, 3 further sunken-featured buildings, awell and various ditches and postholes of Esax date and some Ipswich ware. Details in (S3).
- <S1> SSF18176 (No record type): SAU (Tester A), report 96/59, 1996.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish Files. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50028 Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. SAU (Tester A & Gill D), Excavation Report, November 1998.
- <S3> SSF60906 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2006. Archaeological Excavation and Assessment - RAF Lakenheath, New Dental Clinic.
- <S4> SSF60908 Unpublished document: Tester, A. and Anderson, S.. 1999. Archaeological Monitoring - RAF Lakenheath, Car park adjacent to building 957.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.98.
- FSF19767: POTTERY (Early Iron Age to Early Saxon - 800 BC? to 649 AD?)
- FSF19768: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- FSF33799: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF33800: LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF33801: BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF33802: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF33803: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF33804: COIN (Roman - 343 AD to 348 AD)
- FSF33805: BUCKLE (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF33806: PIN (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF33807: SPINDLE WHORL (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF33808: LOOMWEIGHT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF33809: WEFT BEATER (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF33810: PIN (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 649 AD)
- FSF33811: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman to Middle Saxon - 43 AD to 849 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2022 1:32PM