Monument record DNT 004 - Church of St Nicholas
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7602 5296 (61m by 69m)|
|Civil Parish||DENSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Clare deanery. Status : vicarage. Structure : chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, S porch, embattled W tower. Date : late Perpendicular. The church is located in the centre of the parish in the village (S5).
The SIA visited the College of Regular Canons in April 1860 and described it as follows : a "fine Perpendicular church", "where the carved work of the roof, screens, and seats is excellent, abundant, and in admirable preservation. The church is lofty, has a fine clerestory, and a magnificent E window. The stalls in the chancel and miserere chairs with falling seats remain, as does the lower part of the rood-screen. At the N aisle of the chancel is an open worked altar tomb, enclosing the effigies of a man and woman in their shrouds but to whose memory it was erected is not known" (precis) (S1).
Late Perpendicular architecture throughout. Short W tower probably late C14. "The building no doubt connected with the founding of a college by Sir John Howard and John Broughton in 1475". Good cambered nave roof and lean-to aisle roofs. The pulpit is "Elizabethan, very simple" (precis) (S2). (Described in detail in (S3)).
For perpetual chantry or college adjoining church see DNT 005.
- <R1> SSF10368 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed). Knowles and Hadcock, Medieval religious houses, 1971, 414 424.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 409.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of Eng - Suff, London 1975 (2nd ed) 189-190.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 277-278.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL75SE2, 1982.
- <S5> SSF20774 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, A Guide to their Archaeol & Hist, 1984-85, ms.
- <S6> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXIII, 72, 85-81 (Collegiate Church and Chantry, historical information).
- <S7> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk, 2, 1907, 142.
- <S8> SSF4030 (No record type): Cooke W, The College or Chantry of Denston, 1898, 66.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 2 2008 4:21PM