Monument record HVH 016 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6714 4552 (87m by 109m)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Edmundsbury and Ipswich diocese, Sudbury archdeaconry, Clare deanery. Status: vicarage. Structure: chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, S chapel, S porch, square W tower with stair turret. Date: chiefly Perpendicular. The church is located in the E of the parish in the town (S5).
At a meeting of the SIA in Haverhill in June 1862 the party visited St Mary's and noted "the curious monumental memorial of the Reverend John Ward, father of the eminent Puritan divine, and a grandfather of one of the Pilgrim Fathers " (S1).
"A fire in 1665 is recorded". W tower is Decorated below and Perpendicular higher up. Nave, aisles, clerestory, S chapel and chancel are all Perpendicular except for a block C13 lancet in the chancel (precis) (S2). "In Med days probably this was a very fine church". "Outside the N door is a stoup. There is a sanctus bell window in the tower and an interesting painted hatchment to Thomas Garner dated 1722' (precis) (S3). Described in detail in (S4).
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 416.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England-Suffolk, London 1975 (2nd ed), 252.
- <S3> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 292.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 177-178.
- <S5> SSF20775 (No record type): SAU, Suffolk Parishes, A Guide to their Archaeol & Hist,1984-1985, ms.
- <S6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL64NE30, 1986.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 2:57PM