Monument record BRD 135 - Post medieval boundary bank defining eastern side of Mount Plantation
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7934 8499 (681m by 1528m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Low bank, probably defining E boundary of Mount Plantation. Construction date unknown, but largely defines E limits of C19/C20(?) flint mining complexes BRD 134 & BRD 136.
June 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The post medieval boundary bank described above is visible for much of its length as an earthwork on lidar imagery (S2). As described above, it appears to correspond with the eastern edge of Mount Plantation, as depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map (S3); as a consequence, it has not been mapped by the project. Contrary to the earlier record for the site (see above), the post medieval flint mining recorded as BRD 136 does appear to extend beyond the boundary.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th June 2017.
- <S1> SSF20160 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, Flint Mines: Rapid Survey, ms, October 1996.
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Survey - Heritage Trail, Downham High Warren, High Lodge, Santon Downham (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-242983) (ESF23630)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (CP) (Ref: SAU (CP)) (ESF13125)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2018 3:53PM